Saturday, 25 June 2016

paper boat found in Shetland!

"Hi, Joanne

I saw one of your boats in the Bonhga Gallery, Weisdale, Shetland: I picked it up and read the story of the Magellan daisy but I mistakenly thought that the paper boat itself was part of a children's art workshop taking place in the gallery, so I didn't undo the boat or read any further, but put it back.

I found a second boat at Sumburgh Head lighthouse, in the exhibition room, on Friday 17th June. Of course, this time I was intrigued to have found another paper boat, looked more closely and realised what it was. At the moment, it is with me in my home town of Cardiff, Wales. I plan to leave it in our local art centre, as I think it is likely that anyone finding it there will be interested enough in your project to contact you and to pass the boat on.

My sea story is this: In 1959, when I was eight years old, I travelled with my family to New Zealand, by boat, to meet and stay with my paternal grandparents for five months.

The boat journey itself took four weeks and I remember very vividly going through the Panama Canal and calling at Pitcairn Island on the way across the Pacific. When we crossed the equator, there was a party on board, with someone dressed as Neptune. I was afraid that I would be thrown in the swimming pool, because I had not crossed the equator before and I'd read a story where this was what happened to the young hero of the story. I was very relieved to find that this didn't happen. However, like all the other children on the boat, I was given a certificate by Neptune, saying that I had his protection at sea, for ever after.

The people on the New Zealand side of my family had originally emigrated from Scotland, Wales and England. What people take with them and bring back from travelling is always of interest to me and I will be interested in how your project develops."

With best wishes
Bronwen Davies

Click here for more info about Crossing The Line Ceremony!

No comments:

Post a Comment