Friday, 24 June 2016

Paper boat found in Orkney!

"Hello Joanne Just a quick message to say that I found a purple,paper boat in the Library at Kirkwall,  Orkney on Wednesday 25th May whilst collecting Family History information It is now with me in Colwyn Bay North Wales  Its journey  included two flights south to Aberdeen then on the Manchester and then a train journey to Colwyn Bay where I live  I am taking good care of it..........

........I do not have a whaling story but can tell you that there is an artificial island just beside the harbour in Porthmadog in Gwynedd North Wales,  (Porthmadog is famous for the shipping of Slate to destinations all around the world ) that was made by the sailing ships dumping the ballast used to steady the ships on their  return journeys  This ballast made up of soil, rocks etc.  contained thousands of seeds from plants that grew all around the world  

This island now has plants growing there that did not originate in the UK  It is a wonderful place for Botanists  Its name in Welsh is Cae Ballast or Ballast Field     

I wish you every success with your project"
Angela Owens

This wee boat may be going on a journey to Sicily!

Click here for more info and a location map about the Ballast Field.

An up-date:
 
"Hello Joanne. Just to let you know that I left the paper boat on the Reception Desk in a hotel on the north coast of Sicily  on a bright sunny day last week The temperature was 30degrees centigrade. A little different to that in Orkney when I found it.    I hope it continues its adventure safely and  I look forward to hearing where it gets to  Best wishes   Angela "



No comments:

Post a Comment